This document explains main licensing concepts and errors of the ClearImage v9. There are two runtime versions of ClearImage explained here.
- Development, installed by the ClearImage SDK installer that is freely available.
- Production, installed by ClearImage PDK installer that is sent to a customer after purchase of a license.
Modules and Products
The ClearImage functionality is encapsulated in several modules. The major modules are:
|CiBarcodePro||Read 1D and postal barcodes (e.g., Code39, Code128, IMB)|
|CiPdf417||Read PDF417 Barcodes|
|CiQR||Read QR Codes|
|CiDataMatrix||Read DataMatrix Barcodes|
|CiDlIdReader||Read one PDF417 barcode and/or one Code39 or Code128 barcode|
|WebApi||REST API for barcode reading on a Web Server.|
|CiRepair||Automatically repair images (e.g., auto-deskew, auto-rotate, clean noise)|
|CiTools||Image analysis and modification (e.g., find lines, measure rotation)|
|CcMicr||Read MICR line data on check images.|
The ClearImage functionality is acquired by purchasing a license for ClearImage products, which are:
|ClearImage Reader 1D||CiBarcodePro|
|ClearImage Reader 2D||CiPdf417, CiDataMatrix, CiQR|
|ClearImage Reader 1D+2D||CiBarcodePro, CiPdf417, CiDataMatrix, CiQR|
|ClearImage DL/ID License Reader||CiDlIdReader|
|ClearImage IP||CiRepair, CiTools|
Purchase, Registration and Licensing
Purchase and Support
After placing an order for one or more licenses for a product, the Inlite customer receives a registration certificate for the order.
The certificate is used to register the product on a physical computer or VM or Cloud instance ("target system"). Registering a product binds all of its licensed modules to the target system forever or until the license is transferred to another target system. Registration is done by clicking the Register Licenses button on the Licensing Tab of the Inlite Control Center (ICC)
Each license is associated with the support expiration date ("Support Date"). Upon the license purchase, the date is one year after the order date OR three years if additional support is purchased. To continue support beyond the initial date, customers can purchase the Software Assurance Program to extend and align support for ALL licenses owned by the customer to December 31 of the next year.
Licenses for most of the products are available in two types.
- Server License operates on any Windows physical or virtual computer without limitations.
- Workstation License is a low-cost license that imposes a performance limitation on the processed pages-per-minute (ppm) depending on the host environment:
- 25 ppm operating under Windows 7, 8, 10 running on a physical computer.
- 5 ppm operating under Windows Server or VM or on a Cloud instance
Activation and Use
Multiple versions of ClearImage can be installed and used on the target system. Typically applications use the active version that is the registered COM object or GAC assembly, selected and displayed on the Version tab of the ICC. However, certain applications (e.g., registration-free COM, .Net Core, etc.) reference the version installed in the application directory. The runtime version is the version loaded by the application regardless of the loading mechanism.
ClearImage operates in one of three modes:
- Evaluation mode is a default mode for 60 days after ClearImage SDK or ClearImage PDK is installed for the first time. During the evaluation period all modules are licensed.
- Production mode supports licensed customer’s production requirements. Calling unlicensed modules raises an error.
- Development mode supports customer’s ongoing development after the expiration of the evaluation period.
Periodic dialog boxes or error messages limit the ability to use ClearImage for production purposes.
Production mode operates ClearImage within the scope of the purchased licenses and is activated by:
- Installation of the ClearImage PDK on the target system
- The Activate Production Version button is clicked in the Version Tab of the ICC.
The customer receives download links to the eligible versions of ClearImage PDK. Eligibility is determined by the Support Date.
Call to an unlicensed module raises the "Use of unlicensed function" exception.
Development mode supports customer’s continuous development and testing of unlicensed modules and is activated by:
- Installing the ClearImage SDK on the target system, and the system is not in Evaluation or Production mode.
- The Activate Development Version button is clicked in the Version Tab of the ICC.
The operations depend on a hosting application type:
- UI applications (Windows or Console application) – An occasional dialog box is displayed, where the user is required to click a button to continue.
- No-UI applications (Windows Service or Web Application or service) – A "use of unlicensed function" exception is raised.
This error is generated in the Production mode when an application calls an unlicensed module. To avoid this error:
- Remove or comment-out lines in the application that reference an unlicensed module, or
- Purchase and register a license for the products containing an unlicensed module.