Inlite’s Targeted Barcode Reader (TBR) technology addresses customer-specific requirements for barcode recognition. TBR allows Inlite to apply its technical expertise to deliver custom solution as rapidly and cost effectively as an off-the-shelf product. To obtain the appropriate TBR parameters for your application use the TBR Wizard or contact Inlite.
- ClearImage Reader - One of Inlite’s standard readers: Barcode 1D Pro, PDF417, DataMatrix, QR
- TBR Reader – an extension of the ClearImage reader with additional recognition, validation and formatting capabilities
- TBR Code – a 3 digit number that identifies the TBR reader.
- TBR Default code - a TBR reader that is automatically activated when specific ClearImage Reader is called. See Implicit Activation
- TBR Wizard - a tool to find an optimum TBR Code(s) for a specific image or set of images
- Version Installation: Install ClearImage SDK or ClearImage PDK version 8.3.4521 or later
- Version Activation: If not already active, activate ClearImage version 8.3.4521 or later in Inlite Control Center’s Versions Tab. This applies to both Registered COM and ClearImageNet in GAC
If the correct version is not active use the Activate Production version or the Activate Development version buttons
- Licensing: The use of TBR in production requires the purchase of ClearImage Reader 1D, ClearImage Reader 2D or ClearImage Reader 1D+2D license
Explicit activation – New applications
Select a TBR reader before barcode reading.
TBR activation API reuses the existing COM and .NET API parameters and methods in order to maintain compatibility with previous versions of ClearImage
Reader.TbrCode = tbrCode; // ClearImage 9 ORWhere:
Reader.Encodings = tbrCode; // ClearImage 8 or ClearImage 9
Reader– ClearImage Reader object: CiBarcodePro, CiDataMatrix, CiPdf417 or CiQR
tbrCode– 3 digit TBR code
.NET Inlite.ClearImage namespace:. Set before
Reader.TbrCode = tbrCode; // ClearImage 9 OR Reader.Read("tbrCode", 456780); // ClearImage 8 or ClearImage 9Where:
Reader– BarcodeReader object
tbrCode– 3 digit TBR code
In the following examples use TBR code value of 103.
ClearImage 9 API
123 //... create and configure readerreader.TbcrCode=103; // Apply TBR code 103 to Read() calls that followreader.Read(fileName, page);
123 '... create and configure readerreader.TbrCode=103 ' Apply TBR code 103 to Read() calls that followreader.Read(fileName, page)
123 //... create and configure readerreader->TbrCode = 103; // Apply TBR code 103 to Find() calls that followreader->Find(0);
123 //... create and configure readerreader.setTbrCode(103); // Apply TBR code 103 to Find() calls that followreader.Find(0);
123 //... create and configure reader$reader->TbrCode = 103; // Apply TBR code 103 to Find() calls that follow$BCcount = $reader->Find(0);
12345 TBR: Integer;//... create and configure readerTBR := 103;reader.TbrCode = TBR;reader.Find(0);
1234 '... Create and configure readerTBR = 103reader.TbrCode = TBR ' Apply TBR code 103 to Find() calls that followreader.Find 0
ClearImage 8 APIThis API can be used with both ClearImage 8 and ClearImage 9. It reuses ClearImage 8 methods and properties with TBR-specific values to preserve backward compatibility for existing Inlite’s customers.
123 //... create and configure readerreader.Read("103", 456780); // Apply TBR code 103 to Read() calls that followreader.Read(fileName, page);
123 '... create and configure readerreader.Read("103", 456780) ' Apply TBR code 103 to Read() calls that followreader.Read(fileName, page)
123 //... create and configure readerreader->Encodings = (EBarcodeEncoding)103; // Apply TBR code 103 to Find() calls that followreader->Find(0);
123 //... create and configure readerreader.setEncodings(EBarcodeEncoding.fromInt(103)); // Apply TBR code 103 to Find() calls that followreader.Find(0);
123 //... create and configure reader$reader->Encodings = 103; // Apply TBR code 103 to Find() calls that follow$BCcount = $reader->Find(0);
12345 TBR: Integer;//... create and configure readerTBR := 103;reader.Encodings = TBR;reader.Find(0);
1234 '... Create and configure readerTBR = 103reader.Encodings = TBR ' Apply TBR code 103 to Find() calls that followreader.Find 0
Implicit activation – Legacy applications
TBR can be implemented such that no changes are required to the calling application. This allows use of TBR with legacy ClearImage installations.
Implicit activation is not recommended for new applications and when working with ClearImage Demo.
To use implicit activation:
- Run the Inlite Control Center. Select the Versions tab
- Click Configure button. Select TBR tab.
- Select a particular TBR Default code for desired ClearImage Reader type.
- To disable TBR and use only ClearImage Reader select the empty value (this is a default value)
The Default TBR, if set, is used for ALL barcode reading request for that particular ClearImage Reader.
An explicitly set TBR in application code overrides implicitly set Default TBR code.
NotesRead all pages of a multi-page file by making a single call using the COM or Java API or the .NET Inlite.ClearImage namespace
Open the image of page 1 from a multi-page file then set:.
Reader.Algorithm = Reader.Algorithm | 0x00008000;
If the TBR code is invalid or not applicanle to barcode type, an exception is generated.
If a barcode is obtained using a TBR reader, then the <tbr> tag of barcode’s meta-data contains TBR code.
Do not use image pre-processing with ClearImage Tools or Repair before using ClearImage Reader with TBR code. This might lead to unpredictable results.
ClearImage Demo is an interactive application included with the ClearImage SDK. It is designed to evaluate and optimize barcode recognition process .
Each ClearImage Reader has a Configuration dialog box that includes the following items related to TBR:
- Explicitly Activate TBR: In the reader options dialog box:
- Check the Enable checkbox.
- Selected TBR
in the list of available codes.
- Find the best TBR code. In the reader options dialog box:
- Click the Wizard button
- In the TBR Wizard dialog box click the Start button. This will read all the barcodes on the current image utilizing each of available TBR codes.
- Tested TBR codes are sorted by the decreasing number of found barcodes and by increasing recognition time. The best TBR for this image is on the top of the list.
- Click Done. Use Top TBR to activate code on the top of the results list.
The Barcode reading results dialog box shows utilized TBR code in META DATA section
Online Barcode Reader
Inlite’s Online Barcode Reader (OBR) uses one of TBR readers available to our customers. The TBR code for this reader is 103
OBR is designed to recognize the maximum number of barcodes with no prior information about how the image was acquired or quality of image. To achieve this goal, a variety of different image preprocessing algorithms are applied and tested, sacrificing the speed of recognition. ClearImage Readers on the another hand are optimized for a balance of speed and maximum number of recognized barcodes. Based on Inlite’s experience it is optimized for the most of the images that our customers encounter.
Those few images that not read by ClearImage Readers , the so called corner cases, might represent significant portion of a particular customer’s workflow . The Targeted Barcode Reading is the technology to address such customer’s needs.
Though OBR might read your images, it may not be the most optimal solution from speed or recognition rate perspective. It is possible that other build-in or custom TBR reader may be more suitable. Contact Inlite to get specific recommendations to address your high volume production requirements.
Contacting Inlite Technical Support
Contact Inlite at firstname.lastname@example.org to help you select appropriate TBR reader
Please include this information with your support request:
- Describe your project goals and requirements.
- Representative set of your typical image files (up to 10 files).
Large files (> 1MB) are typically transferred through online file-sharing service (dropbox.com or service of your choice)
- Describe you barcode-based process:
- How barcodes are generated?
- How images with barcode are acquired?
- What is your programming language?
- If you already have code developed, send us snippets showing all calls to ClearImage
If possible send us zipped project that can be build and modified in our environment,